Have you ever tried making whipped body butter? Was it beautiful, fluffy perfection, and the next day you had to scrape it out of the container with your fingernail? That happened with every. single. recipe. I had ever tried, until now.
This recipe makes the most luxurious body butter you have ever used, and it smells like a Lemon Drops (or Lemon Cake). What's not to love?!
I can promise that you have never seen this recipe on the internet. Like my lip balm, it is an Essentially Crafty original! At the time of this blog post, the batch I made two and a half months ago IS STILL SOFT.
The magic is in the Cupuacu Butter. It was new to me, and probably you too, but it will absolutely be your new favorite butter.
THE BENEFITS OF CUPUACU
• Cupuacu is considered a “super-moisturizer” due to its hydrophilic (water-loving) properties.
• Studies have found that Cupuacu butter can support 450% of its weight in water. That is almost twice as much as Lanolin.
• Cupuacu keeps skin moisturized for up to eight hours, and is an effective skin hydrator and plumper.
• Cupuacu contains powerful antioxidants and phytosterols that have an anti-inflammatory effect on the skin and helps stimulate skin healing processes. I wish I had known about this when my daughter had horrible eczema years ago!
• The best part? Cupuacu is easily absorbed into the skin and doesn’t leave your skin feeling greasy.
Lemon Drop Whipped Body Butter is just one of the recipes from my Lemon Drop Collection. You can read all about the complete project by clicking the link above, and you will find the individual recipes at the bottom of this post.
One last thing before we get to the recipe. I know the long scroll is annoying but this is important. I'll be quick. A few essential oils can cause photosensitivity (mostly citrus). If used topically on the skin, and then exposed to sunlight, skin damage can occur. Let's not do that.
Don't worry! When properly diluted, you can use photosensitive essential oils, like orange, in the sun, without any issues. I've done all the math for you and the amount of orange essential oil used in the recipe below is a safe dilution.
If you're wondering, these are the safe levels of citrus essential oils to use in your DIY recipes:
Now, are you ready to get crafty?! Let's do this!
Lemon Drop Body Butter Printable Jar Labels
1-1/2 cups Cupuacu Butter
1/3 cup Mango Butter
1/3 cup Sunflower Seed Oil
1/2 cup Arrowroot Powder (or Arrowroot Flour)
200 drops of Lemon Essential Oil
40 drops of Vanilla Essential Oil
This is a huge recipe. It makes 2 2/3 cups (or 22 oz.) of body butter. I usually make one batch and then divide it up for gifts, but you can reduce the recipe depending on your needs. Below are links to my favorite jars. The white lids look fabulous with the Lemon Drop printable labels.
3 oz. jars with white lids (recipe fills 7)
4 oz. jars with white lids (recipe fills 5)
• Melt the butters in a double boiler
• Once melted, add the Sunflower Seed oil.
• Pour the mixture into a glass bowl and put it in the fridge to chill.
• Once it is almost solid, whip it. Whip it good.
• Add the Arrowroot Powder + essential oils.
• Whip it until it is light and fluffy like frosting.
PRO TIP: Scoop your mixture into a gallon-sized ziplock back. Snip the tip and pipe it into your containers of choice.
OTHER LEMON DROP RECIPES:
Lemon Drop Lip Balm
Lemon Drop Salt Scrub (Coming Soon!)
Lemon Drop Roller