Raise your hand if you stalk the Young Living website every holiday season waiting for their Very Merry VanillaMint Body Butter every year. What if I told you this recipe was even better. Yep, I said it. This body butter smells identical but isn’t as greasy.
Have you ever tried making whipped body butter? Was it beautiful, fluffy perfection, and the next day you had to scrape it out of the container with your fingernail? That happened with every. single. recipe. I had ever tried, until now.
This recipe makes the most luxurious body butter you have ever used, and it smells like Christmas magic. What's not to love?!
I can promise that you have never seen this recipe on the internet. Like my lip balm, it is an Essentially Crafty original! At the time of this blog post, the batch I made two and a half months ago IS STILL SOFT.
The magic is in the Cupuacu Butter. It was new to me, and probably you too, but it will absolutely be your new favorite butter.
THE BENEFITS OF CUPUACU
• Cupuacu is considered a “super-moisturizer” due to its hydrophilic (water-loving) properties.
• Studies have found that Cupuacu butter can support 450% of its weight in water. That is almost twice as much as Lanolin.
• Cupuacu keeps skin moisturized for up to eight hours, and is an effective skin hydrator and plumper.
• Cupuacu contains powerful antioxidants and phytosterols that have an anti-inflammatory effect on the skin and helps stimulate skin healing processes. I wish I had known about this when my daughter had horrible eczema years ago!
• The best part? Cupuacu is easily absorbed into the skin and doesn’t leave your skin feeling greasy.
Now, before you freak out about the number of essential oil drops in the recipe below, keep in mind, this is a LARGE batch. This recipe makes 21.25 ounces of body butter, enough for FIVE 4oz. containers with a little bit left over.
The proper dilution for everyday use personal care products made with essential oils is 2%. Because I know someone will ask, on a batch this size, 2% dilution is 255 drops. This recipe is less than 1% dilution.
Now, are you ready to get crafty?! Let's do this!
VanillaMint Body Butter Printable Jar Labels
1-1/2 cups Cupuacu Butter
1/3 cup Mango Butter
1/3 cup Sunflower Seed Oil
1/2 cup Arrowroot Powder (or Arrowroot Flour)
80 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil
40 drops of Vanilla Essential Oil
This is a huge recipe. It makes 2 2/3 cups (or 22 oz.) of body butter. I usually make one batch and then divide it up for gifts, but you can reduce the recipe depending on your needs. Below are links to my favorite jars. The white lids look fabulous with the VanillaMint printable labels.
3 oz. jars with white lids (recipe fills 7)
4 oz. jars with white lids (recipe fills 5)
• Melt the butters in a double boiler
• Once melted, add the Sunflower Seed oil.
• Pour the mixture into a glass bowl and put it in the fridge to chill.
• Once it is almost solid, whip it. Whip it good.
• Add the Arrowroot Powder + essential oils.
• Whip it until it is light and fluffy like frosting.
PRO TIP: Scoop your mixture into a gallon-sized ziplock back. Snip the tip and pipe it into your containers of choice.